A new region-free Blu-ray film version of The Collector is now available, filled with special features. Produced by Powerhouse Films under the “Indicator” label, this is a major upgrade over the bare-bones Blu-ray that was released in 2011.
The great Hollywood director William Wyler took John Fowles’ celebrated novel and turned it into one of the finest – and most controversial – psychological thrillers of the 1960s. Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar won Best Actor prizes for their roles at the 1965 Cannes Film Festival.
Special features of this new Blu-ray version include:
- 2K restoration.
- The Guardian Interview with William Wyler (1981, 83 mins): archival audio recording of the celebrated filmmaker in conversation with Adrian Turner at London’s National Film Theatre.
- The Guardian Interview with Terence Stamp (1989, 92 mins): archival audio recording of the award-winning actor in conversation with Tony Sloman at the National Film Theatre.
- Selected scenes commentary with author and film historian Neil Sinyard.
- Angel to Devil: a new and exclusive interview in which Terence Stamp remembers working with Wyler.
- Nothing But Death: Award-winning actor Samantha Eggar recalls her work on the film in this new and exclusive interview.
- The Look of Stardom: promotional film about the casting of Samantha Eggar.
- The Location Collector: identifying the places where The Collector’s exteriors were filmed.
- Richard Combs on The Collector: a new appreciation by the renowned critic, lecturer and broadcaster.
- Original theatrical trailer.
- Original teaser trailers.
- Image gallery: promotional photography and publicity material.
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing.
Note that a Limited Edition of this Blu-ray was released in 2018, featuring an exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Carmen Gray entitled “John Fowles and The Collector,” a look at the making of the film and contemporary critical responses. This version is now hard to find but does occasionally appear on eBay and other aftermarket sites.